£340M INVESTMENT IN THE LIVERPOOL CITY REGION RAIL NETWORK & SERVICES
Rail passengers in the Liverpool City Region are to benefit from £340m of rail improvements by the end of 2019.
The investment, by Network Rail and the Liverpool City Region (with support from the Government's Growth Deal) will provide passengers with faster, more frequent and more reliable train services.
The work includes:
- building new and longer platforms at Lime Street station to accommodate more services and longer trains;
- renewing tracks on the underground loop on the Merseyrail network;
- adding additional track between Huyton and Roby to allow faster trains to overtake local stopping services;
- building a new station at Maghull North and redeveloping Newton-le-Willows station;
- bringing an underused railway line, the ‘Halton Curve’ back into service to enable new regular services between Liverpool and Chester, and into North Wales longer term.
Click on the links to find out more about improvements to your services.